Wednesday, November 19, 2008

MaN aNd GoD

I walked on the clouds, realizing that this Heaven was exactly like I had imagined it to be. White, with Angels playing the harp on receding clouds. The sound of birds chirping and a distant waterfall could be heard. Suddenly, a huge bronze gate emerged from no-where. I was at the threshold of the divine abode. I realized that I was barefoot.

A blinding white light, like a trillion mini Auroras, descended from higher reaches. This was God, surely. It had to be God. It spoke out, a booming baritone, with an unimaginable sense of serenity in it.

“Welcome. Welcome to Heaven. You have been granted entrance in My adobe. You have led a life of honesty, self-sacrifice and generosity. I bless you, son.”

I searched for a face, for eyes, but was only met with light, bright white light.

“But before I allow you to enter this peaceful world, as is My duty, I will answer one question. Feel free to ask.”

“I…er…question?”, I was baffled.

“Yes, one single question. It may be any question. Topical, philosophical, metaphysical, definitive – anything. Any question, to which you need an answer. Any question, which needs to be answered. Any question, to which man below on Earth does not know anything about. Ask.”

Questions. Millions of them flooded my insignificant mind, what is life? Death? What, truly is the purpose of life? What is peace? What is happiness? Why do we die? What is…

“Man’s true identity?”

“Man?”, God asked.
“Erm…yes, what is man’s true identity, God. Who am I, God? Who am I?”

God’s next few words, like a sharp knife on a deserted rock, left a mark. A deep, invisible mark.

“Man’s true identity is unknown, even to me – his maker. His is everything, yet he is none. He is the leader of his own life, yet a slave to his own soul.

Man, who is he?

A doctor. Does he cure? No, he kills.
A politician. Does he change the world? No, he lies.
A sportsman. Does he inspire? No, he takes bribes.
A lawyer. Does he work a miracle? No, he cheats.
A teacher. Does he educate? No, he sells it at a price.
A policeman. Does he demolish Hell’s messengers? No, he is only a pawn.
A businessman. Does he end poverty? No, he is self-obsessed.
A priest. Does he show the world to someone? No, he thinks the world about himself.

Everyone of them, terrorists. You don’t need guns to be one.

Today man is someone good and evil. He is a paradox of himself. A timeless mystery and an eternal source of wonder. Man is superior to God, yet is inferior to the numerous insects trampled underneath his leather boots.”

God paused for a second. I breathed in wonderfully pure air. Someone, somewhere was singing a melodious hymn. God continued –

“Today, Man is falling into an impenetrable darkness, a darkness from which it becomes difficult even for me to recover him. But that is beside the point, you asked me Who You Are, right? Well, let me tell you – man has a million different identities shrouded in one single profound identity.


Every single non-living, base item in this world is a metaphorical example of man. Anything and everything in this world resembles man in one aspect or the other. You may test and see.”

I wondered. I pondered.

“A candle?”

“It should light up the place, but in doing so – it always leaves a thin trail of black smoke.”

“A tree?”

“It’s duty is to give shade and fruits. But it will be undoubtedly cut down one day.”

“A cloud?”
“It gives relief in the form of rain and tension in the form of lightning.”

I paused. God sensed my inability to continue.

“You may continue to ask me, I will keep giving answers. Yet, it’s finally time now to tell you man’s true identity. Do you want to know it?”

I looked up steadfastly. The bright light began to glow softly as the words fell like petals, reverberating on the bronze gate, over the clouds and into my ears –

“Man’s true identity is this – Man is a person, a human being. A living thing. Do you understand?”

I shook my head.

God smiled and uttered those immaculate words – “I am man.”

“Y…yy…you??”

“I am within Man as Man is within me.”

I stood dumbstruck.

“Man is God. God is Man. They are one and the same. I created Man. Man created me. That is man’s true identity. He created the Heaven and the Hell. He is the Alpha and the Omega.

I live within man, as man lives within Me. I am man’s son, yet I am his father. He controls me. I control him. But there are problems. The Devil hates him, but Man, being confused about my reality – hates me. He hates me, not the Devil. He does not believe in my existence. That is man’s only mistake. The mistake due to which he is falling into that impenetrable darkness.”
I asked cautiously, “Have you forgiven him, God?”

Suddenly the bronze gates of Heaven opened. I saw a wonderful sight. I saw a lush green field, large trees, small children playing around the grassy bushes. I saw a huge tree in the centre of the field, beneath it sat a man. He was meditating. His eyes were closed. He was praying. Not to God, not to any religion, or to any symbol. He was not of any religion but was not irreligious. Within a stroke of inspiration – I realized that this man was God. Yet, he sat like an ordinary man. I understood suddenly that man was forgiven. God had forgiven him.

Without my realization, inside the abode of Heaven, a smile came fleetingly to my lips and a single drop of tear emerged from my eyes and beautified my cheeks.

No comments: